Monday, June 14, 2010

The Rose.....


My husband and I planted the rose bush last summer. We planted it in early May. The weather up to that point was nice. The day after we planted the rose bush, the Texas summer heat arrived. The Texas heat wouldn't relent for the rest of the summer. Only cloudy, rainy days gave this rose bush relief. Several times a day, I would mist the rose bush. It did not bloom during summer. Finally, autumn's cooler weather arrived. Cooler weather allowed one rose to grow and bloom. The sign of one rose blooming gave us hope that this rose bush and the other rose bushes would make it.

Winter arrived. Usually, we have one winter snow storm here. This winter, we had a plethora of snow storms. It was a harsher winter than normal here. It was a hard year on the rose bushes. This spring two of the four roses bushes we had planted are standing tall and strong. The other two rose bushes are blooming beautiful but the plant growth is poor.

This rose bush is standing tall as the person it is name after. The namesake of this rose took office of the President United States of America on January 20, 1981. He was our 40th President.

The Ronald Reagan Rose

The other rose bush that is standing tall is Veteran's Honor.

I thought I would share this with you on Flag day my Patriotic Theme Rose Garden.


4 comments:

Amusing Bunni said...

What a beautiful post for Flag Day, Supi!
I am very happy your roses bloomed.

I've never had luck with them, but maybe I"ll buy one
this year if they go on sale, and try again.
They are the prettiest flowers, even more so the patriotic ones.

Keads said...

You have to be cruel with roses! Or at least I must do so here! Very nice! Thank you!

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Thanks Sonia for giving me peek into your patriotic garden.

Supi said...

@Bunni - Keep a good eye on what type of roses your neighbors are having super success with.

@Keads - Your yard (Photo on your blog) is green and lush looking. There are neighbors here that plant silk flowers and plants.

@ Odie- You are welcome