Thursday, October 7, 2010

Buffalo Gap

Today, we went to the country vet to pick up my dog's medicines. My dog loves going to vet. The vet has a large animal practice. He has barns for the cattle and horses. To a dog, this is doggy Disneyland of smells. My dog loves it. It is hard to get her back into van after letting her walk around the property. Apparently, smelling backyard squirrel trails doesn't quite cut it with her. Cows and horses, please!

Since the vet is near Buffalo Gap, we swung by to see how the little rickety old western boutique stores were doing. Only 1 boutique was in business. The store remaining open had fishing reel toilet paper holder, and 12 gauge shot gun shell salt and pepper shakers. I bought shakers and a fishing lure coffee mug.

There is this one store that once had Kelly Pruitt renting there. Kelly Pruitt was a famous western artist. I liked Mr. Pruitt. He was a character. He truly lived the cowboy life of yesterday years. He didn't stay all that long in Buffalo Gap. He moved to another city to spread his charm. He had an art gallery in NM. He passed away in 2009.

I used to go visit old Kelly every so often to see what he was painting. I had the worse timing in the world seeing old Kelly paint. Usually it had 3 brush strokes on it. I had the pleasure of looking at his finished paintings instead. I never did see Mr. P paint. Mr. P would take a load off his feet and talked to me about his dogs, told my son stories about things he had done in his life and talked about painting from his imagination.

The only store remaining open the owner told me about how Mr. P said he would go out on a comet. The night Mr. P passed away, there was huge fireball crossing the Texas sky. The store owner said that gave him the goosebumps.

My dog was walking around the old rickety boutiques and enjoying the smells. When it came time to put her in the van, she didn't want to go. I see my dog has fallen under the spell of this place too.

3 comments:

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

That place has got arts and crafts show written all over it, Sonia. Someone with all your time and energy (LOL) could make that happen. You would be busing them in from Abilene like crazy. I took a peek at Wikipedia ...

stopsign said...

Sounds like a nice place to visit! And that your dog agrees too. (-:

Supi said...

Odie - It is a goldmine waiting to happen. That particular location one major thing needs to be done to get that little section going.

Stopsign - It is a nice little place to visit.